The future of CMOS: More Moore or the next big thing?
- Wiesław Kuźmicz
This paper discusses the industrial and research status of CMOS and CMOS-like commercial and emerging technologies. Effects of scaling on transistor cost, max. system complexity and performance are discussed. Performance of state-of-the-art CMOS VLSI systems is power-constrained. To discuss various existing and emerging technologies, a model of an abstract, technology-independent ideal switch is proposed. It is shown that in the power-constrained scenario the maximum performance (in terms of clock speed) is limited by the static Ioff current, and the Ion current (i.e. the current flowing when the device is switched on) is of secondary importance. CMOS and CMOS-like technologies: bulk CMOS, FDSOI, FinFET, tunnel FETs, junctionless FETs, nanowire FETs, and non-Si devices (e.g. carbon-based devices) are briefly presented and their technology readiness level is estimated. The main conclusion is that Si-based CMOS will remain the key VLSI technology for the next decade or longer, and older technology nodes (65 nm–350 nm) will not be abandoned.
- Record ID
- Publication size in sheets
- Napieralski Andrzej Andrzej Napieralski (eds.): Proceedings of 24th International Conference Mixed Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems MIXDES 2017, vol. CFP17MIX-CDR, 2017, Politechnika Łódzka, 608 p., ISBN 978-83-63578-11-4
- Keywords in English
- Logic gates, CMOS technology, FinFETs, Switches, Performance evaluation
- DOI:10.23919/MIXDES.2017.8004587 Opening in a new tab
- http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8004587/ Opening in a new tab
- Project (archive)
- [PBS1/A3/4/2012_177244] VESTIC – a new manufacturing technology for silicon-based monolithic integrated circuits. Project leader: Kuźmicz Wiesław, +48 22 234 71 46, application date 16-03-2012, start date 01-01-2012, planned end date 30-11-2015, end date 30-09-2017, IMiO/2012/PBS/3, CompletedWEiTIProjects financed by NCRD [Projekty finansowane przez NCBiR (NCBR)]
- (en) English
- Score (nominal)
- Score source
- = 20.0, 20-06-2021, ChapterFromConference
- Publication indicators
- = 1; = 0; = 2
- Citation count
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or PerishOpening in a new tab system.