Synthesis and analysis of polycatecholamines coatings for applications in Biotechnology
- Daniel Kopeć,
- Kamil Kopeć,
- Tomasz Ciach
Polydopamine is a biomimetic polymer which can create a stable coating on virtually any material and attracts interest as a multifunctional biocoating for many biomedical applications. It is known that polydopamine makes the coated surface biocompatible, hydrophilic and can be a base for the covalent attachment of many chemical compounds. The coatings synthesized by the Fenton reaction from tyrosine, phenylalanine and phenylethylamine were compared with polydopamine coatings prepared by oxidation of dopamine with air oxygen or periodate. The mass, thickness, water contact angle and UV-VIS spectrum of the produced coatings were analyzed. Our research showed that coatings made of polydopamine and its derivatives show similar UV-VIS spectrum. The Atomic Force Microscopy showed that the thickness of the prepared coatings increases with the synthesis time. We obtained the layers of thickness of 20-100 nm for coating based on polydopamine oxidized with sodium periodate, 5-17 nm for polydopamine oxidized with atmospheric oxygen, 5-24 nm for polytyrosine and 5-8 nm for polyphenylethylamine and polyphenylalanine. A significant reduction in the water contact angle value for all tested coatings was observed. The obtained results suggest that the coatings made of polydopamine derivatives can be successfully applied in Biotechnology.
- Record ID
- Publication type
- Article number
- EYEC Monograph: 9th European Young Engineers Conference, 2021, Warszawa, Politechnika Warszawska, Wydział Inżynierii Chemicznej i Procesowej, 183 p., ISBN 978-83-936575-9-9
- Keywords in English
- polycatecholamines, coatings, polydopamine
- eng (en) English
- Score (nominal)
- Additional fields
- Uwagi: This work was supported by The National Centre for Research and Development in the frame of 2th joint Polish- South African research projects (contract number: PLRPA2/ 05/UROCOAT/2019).
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or PerishOpening in a new tab system.