Application of model output statistics to the GEM-AQ high resolution air quality forecast

Joanna Strużewska , J. W. Kamiński , Maciej Jefimow


The aimof the presented workwas to analyse the impact of data stratification on the efficiency of theModel Output Statistics (MOS) methodology as applied to a high-resolution deterministic air quality forecast carried out with the GEM-AQ model. The following parameters forecasted by the GEM-AQ modelwere selected as predictors for theMOS equation: pollutant concentration, air temperature in the lowest model layer, wind speed in the lowest model layer, temperature inversion and the precipitation rate. A representative 2-year series were used to construct regression functions. Data series were divided into two subsets. Approximately 75% of the data (first 3 weeks of each month) were used to estimate the regression function parameters. Remaining 25% (last week of each month) were used to test the method (control period). The subsequent 12 monthswere used for method verification (verification period). A linear model fitted the function based on forecasted parameters to the observations. We have assumed four different temperature-based data stratification methods (for each method, separate equations were constructed). For PM10 and PM2.5, SO2 and NO2 the best correction results were obtained with the application of temperature thresholds in the cold season and seasonal distribution combined with temperature thresholds in thewarmseason. For the PM10, PM2.5 and SO2 the best resultswere obtained using a combination of two stratification methods separately for cold and warm seasons. For CO, the systematic bias of the forecasted concentrations was partly corrected. For ozone more sophisticated methods of data stratification did not bring a significant improvement.
Author Joanna Strużewska (FEE / CEP)
Joanna Strużewska,,
- Chair of Environmental Protection
, J. W. Kamiński - [EcoForecast Foundation]
J. W. Kamiński,,
, Maciej Jefimow (FEE / CEP)
Maciej Jefimow,,
- Chair of Environmental Protection
Journal seriesAtmospheric Research, ISSN 0169-8095
Issue year2016
Publication size in sheets0.65
Keywords in EnglishAir quality forecast, Air pollution, Modelling, Model output statistics, MOS
ASJC Classification1902 Atmospheric Science
Languageen angielski
Score (nominal)30
Score sourcejournalList
ScoreMinisterial score = 30.0, 28-10-2019, ArticleFromJournal
Ministerial score (2013-2016) = 30.0, 28-10-2019, ArticleFromJournal
Publication indicators WoS Citations = 6; Scopus Citations = 7; Scopus SNIP (Source Normalised Impact per Paper): 2016 = 1.657; WoS Impact Factor: 2016 = 3.778 (2) - 2016=3.753 (5)
Citation count*
Share Share

Get link to the record

* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perish system.
Are you sure?