Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks for Joint Traffic and Mobility Management
- Marcin Seredyński,
- Riad Aggoune,
- Wojciech Mazurczyk,
- Krzysztof Szczypiorski,
- Djamel Khadraoui
In the literature, the problems related to traffic and mobility management are typically addressed separately. However, the solutions to these problems—especially if based on vehicular ad hoc networks (VANETs)—are highly dependent, hence should be addressed jointly. Empirical studies demonstrate that improvements in traffic efficiency create latent travel demand. While lower tailpipe emissions and fuel consumption can be observed per single vehicle, global fuel consumption and emissions increase. It does not mean that improvements in traffic efficiency provide no benefits. Instead, they should be made in conjunction with mobility management initiatives, which allow global reductions in fuel consumption and emissions. In this article, we analyse examples of traffic and mobility management, where joint VANET-based solutions can be applied. Two mobility-related services are analysed—bus priority and real-time passenger information. As for traffic management, the focus is made on collaborative routing and green light speed advisory. We introduce a generic system architecture based on buses that can support traffic- and mobility-related applications relying on VANETs.
- Record ID
- Rak Jacek, Jacek Rak Mouftah Hussein, Hussein Mouftah Zhong Wen-De Wen-De Zhong (eds.): Proceedings of the RNDM 2013 5th International Workshop on Reliable Networks Design and Modeling, 2013, Almaty, IEEE Communications Society, 300 p., ISBN 978-1-4799-1376-3
- Keywords in English
- Intelligent transport systems; vehicular ad hoc networks, traffic management, mobility management.
- DOI:10.1109/ICUMT.2013.6798397 Opening in a new tab
- Project (archive)
- Cooperative Way Mobility abd Traffic Efficiency. Project leader: Szczypiorski Krzysztof, , Phone: +48 22 234 7330 (sektetariat), +48 22 234 7745, start date 15-02-2013, planned end date 31-12-2014, end date 30-09-2015, IT/2013/badawczy/35, CompletedWEiTIProjects financed by NCRD [Projekty finansowane przez NCBiR (NCBR)]
- (en) English
- File: 1
- Seredynski Mazurczyk Szczypiorski Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks 2013.pdf
- Score (nominal)
- Publication indicators
- = 0; = 3; = 3
- Citation count
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or PerishOpening in a new tab system.