Modernizm w architekturze polskiej wsi i miasteczka (1918-1939)
- Małgorzata Rozbicka
In spite of the unundisputed dominance of motifs gleaned from the native past in the architecture of Polish rural areas and small-towns throughout the whole of the twenty-year interwar period, it is not possible to sidestep the fact that as early as the end of the 1920s its buildings began to be marked by the "strictly rational" and " logically deduced from need and structure" assumptions behind the Modern current. This was notwithstanding the fact that these occurrences were, in a rather specific manner, limited by traditional building technology. The 1930s were a period of the clash of two currentsof interwar Modernism - homegrown-classical and international - in the rural and small-town architecture in Poland. Although these currents had already found application in rational-Modern principles for developing the functional-spatial matrix of buildings in the case of small-town and rural conditions in the 1930s, there continued to be significant variations in stylistic-aesthetic views as well as principles in shaping architectural forms. This arcticle is an attempt at charting the conditions, circumstances, and the degree to ehich the principles of design and the Modern aesthetics managed to infiltrate the architecture of Polish rural areas and small towns. Apart from rationalism in interior design, did this modernism of the Polish backwater show itself only in "smoothness and non-ornamentation" and the simplification of the building mass of traditional rural and small-town models? In the case of non-urban architecture of the 1930s, is it (and, if so, in what types of buildings) possible to notice the modernistic tendency towards structural shaping and Cubism, including the application of flat roofs? These are just some of the questions that the author of the article endeavors to answer.
- Record ID
- Other language title versions
- Modernism in the Architecture of Polish Small Towns and Rural Areas (1918-1939)
- Publication size in sheets
- Sołtysik Maria Jolanta, Maria Jolanta Sołtysik Stępa Marek Marek Stępa (eds.): Architektura XX wieku zachowanie jej autentyzmu i integralności w Gdyni i w Europie, Modernizm w Europie - Modernizm w Gdyni, vol. 7, 2020, Gdynia, Gdańsk, Politechnika Gdańska, Urząd Miasta Gdyni, 272 p., ISBN 978-83-942631-0-2
- Keywords in English
- interwar Modernism, rural architecture, Polish rural architecture
- (pl) Polish; (en) English
- Score (nominal)
- Score source
- = 20.0, 14-06-2021, ChapterFromConference
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or PerishOpening in a new tab system.