Procedural generation of meandering rivers with oxbow lakes
- Michał Kurowski
This paper describes a method of procedural generation of meandering rivers with oxbow lakes, which can be used to enhance existing terrain models. The initial river bed is established using a Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) water simulation and then extracted into a curve. This curve is then grown in a way that forces meandering and imprinted onto the terrain mesh. The cut off sections of the river bed are slowly flattened, forming fading oxbow lakes. Growth of the curve is influenced by terrain features such as hills and a user defined erosion susceptibility map.
- Record ID
- Publication size in sheets
- Wolter Franz-Erich, Franz-Erich Wolter Peng Qunsheng Qunsheng Peng (eds.): Electronic Proceedings of the Computer Graphics International, 2013, 544 p., ISBN 978-0-8493-3086-5
- Keywords in English
- Computer graphicas, Procedural terrain generation, Meandering rivers, Oxbow lakes, Erosion
- Project (archive)
- Development of new methods and algorithms in the following areas: computer graphics, artificial intelligence, and information systems, and distributed systems . Project leader: Rybiński Henryk, +48 22 234 77 31, start date 29-05-2012, planned end date 31-12-2012, end date 30-11-2013, II/2012/DS/1, CompletedWEiTIDziałalność statutowa
- (en) English
- Score (nominal)
- Score source
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or PerishOpening in a new tab system.